When the temperature drops outside, we automatically crave warm stodgy food and these types of foods can be high in unhealthy saturated fats and high in carbohydrates. However, comfort food doesn’t have to be unhealthy. Try swapping out some of the unhealthy ingredients for a healthier alternative that’s low in saturated fat, high in the ‘good’ fats, high in vitamins and minerals and low in carbohydrates.
Take a look at these five simple supper swaps and try them out for yourself:
1. Swap Beef & Ale Pie for Beef & Onion Lattice Pastry Topped Pie
By having a lattice tart instead of a full-on pie can reduce the amount of pastry used by up to 50%, thus reducing saturated fats intake.
2. Swap Chicken & Streaky Bacon Pie for Chicken & Squash Filo Pastry Tart
Filo pastry is healthier than standard pastries because there is no fat in the mixture, it’s made with just flour and water. Swapping out the bacon for a vegetable is a bonus. If you don’t like squash, try red or yellow peppers, sundried tomato or red onion.
3. Swap Beef Stew with Dumplings for Beef Stew Served with Sweet Potato Wedges
Replacing dumplings with sweet potato wedges can have a huge health benefit as dumplings are usually made with suet which is high in fat.
4. Swap Slow Cooked Chicken Casserole for Slow Cooked Chicken Breast Casserole
Casserole is traditionally made using chicken drumsticks and chicken legs with the skin on. It tastes great, but whilst cooking, the fat from the skin dissolves into the dish. By swapping theses cuts with a healthier skinless chicken breast, it can reduce the amount of fat in the dish dramatically.
5. Swap Lamb Chops with Mash Potato & Gravy for Lamb Tagine with Apricots & Almonds Served with Green Beans
Lamb chops are full of flavour but can have a large section of fat down one side which can seep into the meat when cooking. Instead, why not try using some left overs from a roast leg of lamb which is lower in fat. The addition of almonds, apricots and green beans adds an abundance of vitamins, minerals and fibre to the dish.
Find your perfect home:
TIPS, NEWS AND ADVICE
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN...
09 March 2020
5-point plan for finding the perfect ...
1. Choose the correct type of estate agent There are a variety of different types of estate agents out there, but choosing a specialist retirement estate agent gives the advantage...Read More
09 March 2020
Downsizing – don’t leave it too l...
What is downsizing? Downsizing your home is when you purchase a home that’s smaller than the one you currently occupy and you move to a smaller home such as a retirement apartmen...Read More
13 February 2020
Discover your next home at a retireme...
Retirement development open days are a great opportunity to have a good look around the retirement apartments and to see the retirement development for yourself. It’s also good t...Read More