We all know that cakes, biscuits, pies, pastries, burgers, sausages, onion rings, cream, full fat cheese and chips are all high in cholesterol and are all full of the ‘bad saturated fats’ and the NHS advises us to avoid these foods if we have high cholesterol.
To lower cholesterol, we’re advised to eat the ‘good fats’ which are thought to be plant-based foods and oils found in many foods in the ‘Mediterranean diet’. These include things like extra virgin olive oil, tomatoes, cucumber and olives. We’re also told to eat oily fish such as Salmon and Mackerel.
But how do we translate these foods into every day meals? Read this article to discover 9 top quick meal ideas to help reduce cholesterol and learn how you can start to bring healthy ingredients into your everyday meals.
1. Breakfast: Porridge with walnuts, almonds, pumpkin and chia seeds or blueberries and a cup of green tea
2. Lunch: Beans on toast with roasted garlic and turmeric
3. Dinner: Roasted salmon with spinach, broccoli and courgette
1. Breakfast: Fat free yogurt and a cup of green tea
2. Lunch: Avocado, vine tomato with cottage cheese on a cracker with cracked black pepper
3. Dinner: Quinoa bean salad with a sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil
1. Breakfast: Banana smoothie
2. Lunch: Tuna salad with couscous
3. Dinner: Sardine and vegetable spaghetti
By increasing the amount of fruit and vegetables eaten each day and by reducing the amount of animal fats in our diet, coupled with daily exercise such as walking, can help us to lead and maintain a healthier lifestyle. It’s always important to consult your GP if you are making any changes to your diet.
Find your perfect home:
TIPS, NEWS AND ADVICE
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN...
09 July 2019
Top Tips to keep older people cool th...
It’s important we keep our bodies at the correct temperate throughout the day and avoid overheating during the warmer months. The NHS advises that this can be worse for some peop...Read More
08 July 2019
What is Retirement Living really like...
So, what is retirement living really like? We speak to two residents who spill the beans on what it’s really like to live in retirement living accommodation. And they have never ...Read More
04 July 2019
Cooking for 1? Quick nutritious meals...
Microwave meals have come a long way since they first appeared on our supermarket shelves. If you’re cooking for 1 or 2 people, then you’re probably looking for a healthy well-...Read More