We all know that cakes, biscuits, pies, pastries, burgers, sausages, onion rings, cream, full fat cheese and chips are all high in cholesterol and are all full of the ‘bad saturated fats’ and the NHS advises us to avoid these foods if we have high cholesterol.
To lower cholesterol, we’re advised to eat the ‘good fats’ which are thought to be plant-based foods and oils found in many foods in the ‘Mediterranean diet’. These include things like extra virgin olive oil, tomatoes, cucumber and olives. We’re also told to eat oily fish such as Salmon and Mackerel.
But how do we translate these foods into every day meals? Read this article to discover 9 top quick meal ideas to help reduce cholesterol and learn how you can start to bring healthy ingredients into your everyday meals.
1. Breakfast: Porridge with walnuts, almonds, pumpkin and chia seeds or blueberries and a cup of green tea
2. Lunch: Beans on toast with roasted garlic and turmeric
3. Dinner: Roasted salmon with spinach, broccoli and courgette
1. Breakfast: Fat free yogurt and a cup of green tea
2. Lunch: Avocado, vine tomato with cottage cheese on a cracker with cracked black pepper
3. Dinner: Quinoa bean salad with a sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil
1. Breakfast: Banana smoothie
2. Lunch: Tuna salad with couscous
3. Dinner: Sardine and vegetable spaghetti
By increasing the amount of fruit and vegetables eaten each day and by reducing the amount of animal fats in our diet, coupled with daily exercise such as walking, can help us to lead and maintain a healthier lifestyle. It’s always important to consult your GP if you are making any changes to your diet.
Find your perfect home:
TIPS, NEWS AND ADVICE
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN...
09 March 2020
5-point plan for finding the perfect ...
1. Choose the correct type of estate agent There are a variety of different types of estate agents out there, but choosing a specialist retirement estate agent gives the advantage...Read More
09 March 2020
Downsizing – don’t leave it too l...
What is downsizing? Downsizing your home is when you purchase a home that’s smaller than the one you currently occupy and you move to a smaller home such as a retirement apartmen...Read More
13 February 2020
Discover your next home at a retireme...
Retirement development open days are a great opportunity to have a good look around the retirement apartments and to see the retirement development for yourself. It’s also good t...Read More