Moving to an Assisted living retirement apartment is a sensible next step for older people who need extra care and are finding it difficult to maintain independence at home. Here’s what you need to know about assisted living, and why Eastleigh is the ideal place to start a new, stress-free life.
Don’t feel like reading about it? Give us a call for more info on 0800 080 3152.
What is assisted living?
Assisted living is a type of privately owned retirement property which offers various levels of on-site care, as well as facilities that make life easier and more pleasant for residents.
An apartment in an assisted living development is often the ideal living arrangement for older people who are in a ‘transitional’ stage of their lives and want to have the security of owning their home while receiving support and care.
Unlike a nursing home, where constant care and supervision is the norm, assisted living developments are focused on allowing you to remain as independent as you’d like – you choose how much care and assistance you want and need. Whether you simply require some help with cleaning or shopping each week, or you need someone to assist you with daily tasks such as bathing, dressing or cooking, this can all be part of living in an assisted living development.
Unfortunately, if you’re keen to live in the Southampton area, there aren’t a huge number of options for this type of property. Catherine Court is one of just a few assisted living developments in the area but Eastleigh’s busy community makes it a great place to move to while maintaining links to family and friends.
How do I know if assisted living is the right move?
Often, the signs that it might be the right time for you (or your loved one) to make provision for extra care can be missed, as it’s usually a gradual process that isn’t always obvious straight away. Assisted Living could be the right move if:
- Home maintenance is difficult: if daily chores such as cleaning, laundry and general home maintenance have become a challenge, this could be an indication that moving to a retirement property is now worth considering.
- Health issues are hindering your lifestyle: latest NHS statistics suggest that one in three adults over the age of 65 who live at home will have at least one fall a year. Difficulty moving safely around your home is a sign that living at home is no longer practical.
- Difficulty with food preparation and cooking: if you finding it hard to chop or prepare your food, an assisted living development where meals can be prepared and served daily could be an ideal option.
- Trouble remembering and administering medication: it’s no secret that as you age, health tends to become a bigger focus. Many people may find themselves with combinations of medication to take, with different doses due throughout the day.
- You’re feeling isolated or lonely: If you’re living alone and you’re feeling isolated or lonely, then moving into a retirement or assisted living property really could be a great option. Each development has a residents’ lounge and restaurant to facilitate socialising and most have organised social activities on a regular basis.
Assisted living in Eastleigh
Catherine Court in Eastleigh is situated close to local amenities such as shops, supermarkets, doctors and dentists, everything you need is nearby. The regular bus and train links nearby make getting into Southampton and other local areas easy, meaning you’ll be able to visit friends and family with ease.
Better still, Eastleigh is roughly half the size of Southampton, meaning that residents in this town are very much part of a friendly community, which is incredibly important when it comes to remaining independent and leading an active and social lifestyle.
RetirementMove has a selection of one and two bedroom assisted living apartments for sale at Catherine Court, which you can view here.
The development at Catherine Court offers:
- A fully staffed dining room
- An estate manager providing 24-hour emergency cover
- Secure parking
- Resident’s lounge
- Lively social calendar
- One hour of domestic care per week (this varies with different packages)
At RetirementMove, we aim to make moving as smooth and as easy as possible, so if you choose to buy an assisted living property through us, we can offer a variety of third party services including packing and organising services and reliable removals to help make your transition as stress-free as possible.
If you’d like more information on the assisted living properties available at Catherine Court, or if you want to chat about whether assisted living is the right option, call us on 0800 080 3152.
Find your perfect retirement home:
TIPS, NEWS AND ADVICE
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN...
09 July 2019
Top Tips to keep older people cool th...
It’s important we keep our bodies at the correct temperate throughout the day and avoid overheating during the warmer months. The NHS advises that this can be worse for some peop...Read More
08 July 2019
What is Retirement Living really like...
So, what is retirement living really like? We speak to two residents who spill the beans on what it’s really like to live in retirement living accommodation. And they have never ...Read More
04 July 2019
Cooking for 1? Quick nutritious meals...
Microwave meals have come a long way since they first appeared on our supermarket shelves. If you’re cooking for 1 or 2 people, then you’re probably looking for a healthy well-...Read More