Never too old: Grandparents are such an important element of family life that a day has been set aside to honour them.
Top 5 Gifts for Grandparents Day
Grandparents Day usually falls during the first week of October in the UK. It is a tradition that was first proclaimed in the US by President Jimmy Carter in 1978 and has been celebrated on the first Sunday after Labour Day ever since.
The charity Age Concern believed British grandmothers and grandfathers deserved a similar day of recognition and so it introduced this special day to the UK in 1990. In the UK we celebrate Grandparents Day on the first Sunday of each October.
From babysitting and cooking to providing financial and emotional support to the generations they nurture and watch grow, grandparents enrich our lives. And a gift in recognition of this fact is a thoughtful way of showing your appreciation for those who are special to you.
Here are our five gift suggestions for Grandparents:
- The Joy of Sheds. Retirement means much more time to potter in your garden or allotment, so this book will make a lovely gift for a green-fingered grandparent. It’s available from Amazon for £7.99.
- Dear Grandma, From You to Me is a delightful way for young children to learn more about their grandparent through a series of questions that are filled in together throughout the book. There is also a Dear Granddad version. They’re £11.95 from Prezzybox.
- This impressive collection of five rare Scotch whiskies are beautifully presented in a hand-finished gift box with individual tasting cards, and a whisky tasting mat. It gets five-star reviews at notonthehighstreet where it costs £68.50.
- The chance to travel is an advantage of being retired, which is what makes this Personalised Scratch Map of the World such a great gift for exploring grandparents. It features a gold-coloured top foil layer that you can scratch off to reveal a multicoloured world below. It can be used to chart all of the destinations you’ve visited and create a personalised and unique map – and makes a great talking point for visitors. It costs £13.99 from Getting Personal.
- Whether they use it for gardening, cooking or painting doesn’t matter – the main thing is that this useful apron has three spacious pockets at the front to hold everything you need. And the wording will be sure to raise a smile too. It costs £16.95 from Zazzle and can also be customized.
- Any golf fans will love this pack of golf balls which all feature amusing Keep Calm slogans. They cost £10 for a pack of six from John Lewis.
Recognising their unwavering contributions
The origins of National Grandparents Day can be traced back to a West Virginian housewife called Marian McQuade, who set out to champion the cause of the lonely elderly in nursing homes.
She also hoped to persuade grandchildren to tap the wisdom and heritage their grandparents could provide and made it her mission to ensure that they were recognised for the contribution they made to the family and wider society. Her campaigning led to President Carter formally adopting this day of celebration.
Find your perfect home:
TIPS, NEWS AND ADVICE
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN...
19 June 2019
Five Fun Food & Drink Festivals ...
Five Fun Food & Drink Festivals with fabulous retirement developments nearby! Wherever you live in the UK there is bound to be a wonderful food or drinks festival nearby sellin...Read More
13 June 2019
High street agent or specialist retir...
If you’re thinking of buying or selling a retirement flat and can’t decide between using a high street agent or a specialist retirement estate agent, let us give you so...Read More
13 June 2019
First time buyers… always in th...
A recent report featured in the Financial Times has reported that “housing policy needs to focus on last-time buyers” to stand a chance of solving the UK’s housing crisis. Th...Read More